We’re in the post-WWDC lull but that doesn’t keep the rumor mill from speculating on what we might see in the Fall. Here are a few links of note for the week ending July 3, 2016:
- As reported by Jeff Gamet of The Mac Observer, Apple is set to report their Third Quarter earnings on July 26. Given the shock from last quarter’s first ever decline in the iPhone and the lack of any new hardware at WWDC, it could be an interesting call.
- The Wall Street Journal reported on rumors that Apple may be in talks to purchase the Tidal music streaming service. Tidal is headed by music superstar Jay Z, and while typically less popular than services like Apple Music and Spotify, has acquired some exclusive content deals because of the rapper’s connections with the music industry. If the rumor is true, it could be Apple’s attempt to take out competition and secure exclusive content deals all in one.
- I’m not all that excited about the changes to iMessage coming in iOS 10, I’m not looking forward to the “emojification” of my messages. However, here’s something I admit I am a little excited about. Seth Weintraub of 9to5 Mac reports that Apple has released 4 animated emoji sticker packs, one of them features classic Mac icons.
- There’s more chatter this week about the possible removal of the headphone port from the upcoming iPhone. As Jason Snell from Six Colors points out, no one really knows what Apple is doing, so it’s hard to get worked up over something that is only a rumor at this point. But both Jason and Marco Arment question whether there is a compelling reason to remove the headphone jack now.
- Amazon has announced their second annual "Prime Day" for Tuesday, July 12th. This is an event where Amazon will offer exclusive discounts to members of their $99 prime subscription that will supposedly rival Black Friday. Deals are expected on the Echo and Kindle line of products as well as deals on electronics. Prime members can use the Amazon App to receive notifications when deals go live. The Wirecutter has an article on what to expect and will be posting some of the best deals on their site as well as through Twitter.
- Finally this week, we got a new teaser trailer for the upcoming Star Trek Movie. There’s some, but not a lot of new content in this trailer. It’s set to Rihanna’s new single “Sledgehammer”. The release of the movie is a little bittersweet now given the recent tragic death of actor Anton Yelchin who played Chekov in the reboot.