A huge thank you to Donald Burr who heard my complaints about the new Podcast App and my need to continue syncing with iTunes on the latest Mac Power Users. He wrote in with a comment about how to force podcasts back into the Music app. I tried it this morning, and it worked!
- First, do a sync of your iPhone to iTunes make sure all your data is backed up to iTunes and current.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer, then click on its entry in the Devices section of iTunes. On the “Podcasts” tab make sure syncing is turned OFF. If it isn’t, turn it off then re-sync your phone.
- Force quit both the Music (iPod) app AND the Apple Podcast app. Double click the home button, press and hold on the app’s icon in the task switcher that appears, and tap the red “X”.
- Uninstall the Podcasts app. Press and hold on its icon until they all start wiggling, then tap the red “X”. You will be warned that you will lose all of the app’s data. That’s ok; Don’t Panic!
- Plug your phone back into iTunes, click its entry in the Devices section of iTunes, then click the Podcasts tab. Turn podcast syncing back on, and configure it to your preferences. Then sync your phone.
- Now on your phone, go to the Music app, and tap on the “More…” tab. Then tap the “Edit” button. You should now have a Podcasts icon, which you can drag into your icon bar. (Note I had to force quit the Music App one more time and relaunch before podcasts would show up.)