The Consumer Electronics Show was held in Las Vegas this week. Although Apple wasn't exhibiting there was quite a buzz of tech news. Here's a recap of links I of found of interest for the week ending January 10, 2016:
- Jason Snell of Six Colors published a Report Card for Apple in 2015 where he surveyed several of his colleagues, myself included, about Apple's performance in the past year. Overall it was a fairly favorable year for Apple but still with plenty of room for improvement.
- Unsurprisingly, Apple announced a record-breaking holiday season for the App store. In the two weeks ending January 3, customers spent over $1.1 billion on apps and in-app purchases setting back-to-back weekly records for traffic and purchases.
- It looks like there may be a few new options for some Apple Watch purchasers in the coming weeks. As reported by Jordan Kahn and Benjamin Mayo of 9to5 Mac Apple has leaked two exclusive Apple Watch Sport Models for the Chinese New Year featuring yellow gold and silver aluminum color options with dark red straps. We also saw a Space Black Milanese Loop Apple Watch Band briefly appear on the Apple Czech Store site and then quickly pulled. I love my Milanese Loop but can see how the current offering would clash with a black watch. I suspect those with black watches will be pleased to see this ship.
- As reported by The Mac Observer, Apple will announce Q1 2016 results on Tuesday, January 26th. This is usually one of Apple's best quarters as it will include holiday season sales.
- There were too many CES announcements to follow, much less recap. The reality is many of them will never come to fruition. One of my favorite recaps of CES is The Wirecutter's Realist Guide to CES. They identify the handful of items and concepts they think might actually impact 2016.
- There were a few announcements from product vendors for Apple enthusiasts worth noting. We're starting to see several USB-C products come to market. Jordan Kahn of 9to5 Mac has a nice roundup of USB-C products at CES 2016 including hubs, displays, adapters and more that are compatible with Apple's 12-inch MacBook.
- As reported by Juli Clover of Mac Rumors, Griffin announced a Travel Power Bank designed for on-the-go charging as well as a number of bands for Apple Watch. At $70, the travel bank isn't cheap, but will hold up to four full charges and is small enough to fit on a keychain. It may be ideal for those who travel with the Apple Watch and don't want to bring along another cable.
- Tablo, an OTA DVR service has brought its App to the Apple TV. As reported by Oscar Raymundo of Techive, the Tablo tvOS app that will let you watch live network television with an antenna on your 4th-generation Apple TV as well as access recorded content stored on your external USB hard drive.
- Finally, David Pogue of Yahoo! Tech has created a Musical tribute to CES. I love David's music videos!