Tomorrow is WWDC day. Since a lot of questions will be answered, this will be a somewhat abbreviated week in review. Here are the links of note for the week ending June 4, 2017
- Developer earnings from the App Store top $70 billion - Apple - Nice to see Apple reporting this, but just the week prior to WWDC makes me think they are “clearing the deck” with this announcement so they give it a mention, but not devote significant time in the upcoming keynote.
- Apple Music executive Bozoma Saint John plans to leave the company - Axios - Bozma Saint John became a widely known figure after her presentation at WWDC last year. If true, I’ll be sorry to see her leave.
- Alexa can now set reminders for you - The Verge - A few major updates for the Amazon Echo this week that I will widely use. the first are named timers and reminders. “Alexa, remind me at 8:30 to take the trash out.”
- Amazon Updates Alexa Devices With Apple iCloud Calendar Integration - Mac Rumors - Another significant Alexa update this week is the ability to integrate with iCloud calendars. You can now have Alexa add appointments and read back entries from your iCloud calendar.
- Apple to let podcasters record 60-minute episodes at on-site WWDC 2017 studio, reservation required - 9to5Mac - Great to see Apple giving podcasters an acknowledgment at WWDC. While I certainly understand the time restriction, anyone know a Mac Podcast that will be under an hour on WWDC week? :)
- My thanks to Balance for sponsoring the site this week. If you have a product or service you’d like to see featured, get in touch.
- Code Conference 2017 - Vox Media and Recode wrapped up the 2017 Code Conference and are in the process of posting the videos to their YouTube channel. They’re all worth a watch if you have time, but one of my favorites is Dick Costolo’s interview with Walt Mossberg.