Only one more week before WWDC and the rumor mill keeps churning. Here are the links of note from around the web for the week ending June 5, 2016.
- Boxing legend Muhammad Ali died this week. Apple executives paid tribute through social media and updated the homepage (cached image on MacRumors) of its website with an image of the boxer and a quote: “The man who has no imagination has no wings.”
- With WWDC fast approaching Apple has updated it’s WWDC App for TVOS and iPad Multitasking support. The App can be used to watch live and streamed sessions from the conference and keep tabs on the schedule. It’s a great way to keep up with what’s going at WWDC for those of us who can’t be there in person.
- Apple has again launched its Back to School Promotion. As reported by Jake Underwood of MacStories, similar to last year, in additional to their normal educational discounts, Apple will offer a pair of Beats headphones free with the purchase of certain Macs, iPad Pros or iPhones.
- There have been lots of rumors of an updated Apple Display with Retina support at WWDC. According to Daring Fireball, citing Rene Ritchie of iMore, it looks like there there will be No Apple Display with Integrated GPU at WWDC, but such a product may still be in the pipeline or a Fall rollout. Honestly, the more I look at this, the more I think this is likely given Apple’s release cycle, major Mac updates don’t make sense really until the Fall when they can be released alongside new Hardware. Remember there were no hardware announcements at the last WWDC.
- Adding some credence to this is Mark Gurman. As reported by 9to5 Mac, Mark recently went on record with his WWDC 2016 predictions and among them is that there won’t be any new hardware announcements at WWDC but there will be plenty of software. According to Gurman’s speculation, updates to Apple’s operating systems will include significant Siri updates, improvements to Photos, a revamp to Apple Music and more.
- As reported by Killian Bell at Cult of Mac, this Leaked Photo may show the upcoming MacBook Pro’s top case with space for OLED touch Panel and four USB-C ports. There’s also some speculation that the leak may be of a future MacBook, not a MacBook Pro.
- Speaking at the Code conference this week, Jeff Bezos shed some light on why there’s still no Amazon Video App on Apple TV. According to Recode, Amazon isn’t selling Apple TV or Google’s Chromecast, nor putting their content on these products until it can come to “acceptable business terms” with these companies. Presumably, Bezos is referring to Apple’s policy of taking 30% of all sales made through in App Purchases on iOS. You can find the full video of Bezos interview on Recode.
- Tony Fadell, Nest Founder and CEO and former “father of the iPod” at Apple announced on the Nest Blog this week that he was leaving the company. . Rumors have been swirling of a while of unrest within the company, questions about its future and concerns about it’s acquisition by Google. As an owner of a Nest thermostat, I hope things improve after this transition.
- Finally this week, in remembrance of Muhammad Ali, I’ll leave you with a YouTube version of his Think Different campaign video from 1997: