It’s been a quieter week on the technology front. (Yes, I’m ignoring the elephant in the room.) I just got word that my new MacBook Pro is “Preparing for Shipment” and we’re about to kick off the holiday buying season. Here are the links of note for the week ending November 13, 2016:
- Review: On the road with the 13-inch MacBook Pro - Jason Snell reviews the 13" MacBook Pro without TouchBar.
- The Retina divide - Another great piece from Jason this week. There have been a lot of complaints about the cost of the new MacBook Pros and how it’s more expensive now than ever to buy a new Mac. Jason Snell talks about how Retina screens are probably a big part of the price hike.
- Apple Releases iBooks StoryTime for Apple TV - A new Apple TV only App from Apple will read children’s books on the big screen to your kids. The App comes with one free Dora the Explorer book with a modest number of titles available at launch starting at around $6.
- AirPods Production Said to Begin in December in Limited Quantities - Will they ship in time for Christmas or won’t they? That seems to be the big question regarding the AirPods. I’ve got a pair of AirPods on my holiday shopping list. If they do manage to make it in time for the holiday season, I expect they will be supply constrained.
- Refurbished iPhones now available on Apple’s website - I always wondered why Apple didn’t sell refurbished iPhones, especially since they are likely taking so many back in as part of their annual upgrade program. Looks like they’re going to start with the iPhone 6s or 6s Plus now available refurbished on the Apple online store starting at $449.
- MacBook Pro without Touch Bar vs. 2015 13" MacBook Air - Apple Insider has posted a video review of the 13" MacBook Pro compared to the 2015 MacBook Air