A couple of weeks ago I picked up the SIKAI Silicone Case for my Apple TV remotes. They’re around $14 with free Prime shipping on Amazon and come in a variety of colors. At first I laughed at the idea of having to buy a case to protect a TV remote, but it solves some real problems, and I’ve kept the case on the remote despite the very idea behind it being a little ridiculous. Here are my thoughts so far:
- The Apple TV remote is slippery and fairly easily broken since the new trackpad is made of glass. I’m not very careful with my remotes and don’t care much for the idea of a $79 replacment. (Accidental damages is not covered by AppleCare.) While a case doesn’t ensure survival, it certainly doesn’t hurt.
- I’m still not totally on board with the design of the new remote. I was always picking it up and finding I was holding it upside down. The case offers enough contour that doesn’t happen nearly as often.
- I have two 4th Generation Apple TVs. One in my bedroom, the other in my living room. I’ll routinely watch TV in my bedroom while on the elliptical machine so I’ve attached the optional included lanyard on that remote. It helps distinguish the bedroom remote from the living room remote and makes it easy to hang the remote on the elliptical machine during workouts.
- There are a variety of colors. I'm boring so I went with black. If you want to go wild, you can.
- While the Apple TV remote with the cover isn’t as sleek and sexy as the remote without the cover, it’s not horrible. The pros outweigh the cons so for now I’m keeping it.