It’s been a busy week for Apple fans, obviously the biggest news was Apple’s September 9th event which introduced updates to the Apple Watch line, a new Apple TV, the iPad Pro, and the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. Here are some of the coverage highlights and a few other tidbits from around the web for what is typically Apple’s busiest week of the year.
- Susie Ochs at Macworld went Hands-on with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, spoiler alert, she likes it. Meanwhile, Jason Snell of Six Colors played with the iPad Pro’s new Smart Keyboard and was a little less thrilled.
- Speaking of Jason Snell, he gives a great recap of the Apple Event from the perspective of someone who was actually there on this week’s Upgrade on Relay.fm. Also, congratulations to Jason his one year anniversary as an independent publisher!
- With the introduction of the new iPhones, Apple also introduced a new Upgrade Program. Dave Hamilton at the Mac Observer does the math and Compares Apple’s iPhone Upgrade Program with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. Dave’s article is a great start, but there are so many different carriers, pricing plans and options now that you’re going to have to pull out your bill, analyze your use and options to see what makes the most sense. This is all getting a lot more difficult to figure out and I think the carriers like that.
- Rene Ritchie at iMore gives a Hands-on Preview of the New Apple TV. Personally, I’m excited about the updates but I think we’ll have to see if the App developers get on board and just what they can do with the SDK. I’ll be picking up an Apple TV and will have more to say on that later.
- Looks like the days of David and I accidentally triggering Siri on MPU listeners iPhones may soon be coming to an end thanks to a new feature spotted in the iOS 9 Beta. MacRumors reports the “Hey Siri” features in iOS 9 Uses Individualized Voice Recognition. No more “Ahoy Telephone” for us!
- Here’s a fun tip straight from the Mac Power Users Google Plus community. If you’re a TextExpander user you may have occasionally had a problem where instead of expanding a snippet as expected, you get the last bit of copied text in your clipboard. MPU Listener Geoff gives us the fix in the comments.
- Marco Arment has posted his Podcasting Microphones Mega-Review. The review includes audio samples from both Marco and Tiffany Arment along with recommendations for setups.
- Though this was originally posted last week, I thought I’d through in something completely unrelated to technology. Elle Penner, M.P.H., R.D., writing for myfitnesspal’s Hello Healthy Blog shared 18 Hacks For Eating Well on a Budget. I’ve been looking for ways to trim my budget lately and follow several of these tips.
- Finally this week, our pal Jonathan Mann (aka Song a Day Mann) posted his video recap of the Apple event aptly titled “Go Deeper, Press Deeper.” Here you go: