I try to post as much original content to this site as possible, and shorter link posts with commentary when relevant. However, there are a number of stories that come across my radar throughout the week that I’d like to share. I particularly like how Jeff Richardson at iPhone JD prepares a weekly recap post with links to relevant stories around the web. In that spirit, I present what is hopefully my first of many week in review posts.
- Writing for 9to5Mac, Mark Gurman released a roundup of what we can expect at Apple’s September 4th “Hey Siri” event. Mark predicts this will be one of the largest events in the company’s history and will include a a pair of new iPhones, a new Apple TV, a larger iPad Air, refreshed iPad mini, and new Apple Watch accessories. I can’t wait.
- Our paperless pal Brooks Duncan over at Document Snap released a new e-Book, the Paperless Security guide. It’s a PDF e-book that discusses common concerns and solutions for paperless documents including backup, encryption, cloud storage and more.
- Over on The Mac Observer, Dave Hamilton argues the future Apple TV Needs Universal Search. Having used OnePass on my new TiVo Roamio to access content across a number of streaming services, I’m a fan.
- Speaking of streaming services, Amazon released an update to their Amazon Video App for iOS this week. The major feature change is that you can now download Prime movies and TV shows and watch them off line. Another added benefit for those of us with a Prime subscription who may want to download content on our home network and watch it on the go.
- If you still need to convince people in your life to use better passwords, there are two things that might help. Allison Sheridan posted an interview with her octogenarian father-in-law, Ken, about his experiences with 1Password and how it made his digital life easier and more secure. Also, 1Password is currently featuring it’s “Work Smarter” sale. For a limited time users can pickup 1Password for Mac and Windows 30% off and save 50% on 1Password for iOS and Android.
- While on the topic of sales, a number of my favorite iOS apps are currently on sale as part of the App Store’s “Work Smarter, Spend Less” promotion. I previously mentioned 1Password for iOS is on sale 50% off (in App purchase). Fantastical 2 is on sale for $2.99 for iPhone ($Reg. $5) and $4.99 for iPad (Reg. $10). Workflow is on sale for $2.99 (Reg. $5).
- Sphero released their Star Wars BB–8 App-Enabled Droid. I know this little Droid will be on many lists this holiday season, assuming people can wait that long. It retails for $150, so it’s a bit pricey, but it is so darn cute. Here's the video from Sphero: